Involves ensuring that the way decisions are made in a given situation meets certain standards. These include:
- Transparency: people should know that decisions are being made and what these are; they should have access to the criteria being used to make decisions
- Inclusion: those affected should be able to influence these decisions and not be limited by unjustified barriers
- Deliberation: influence should come from participation in a respectful conversation where reasons are exchanged
- Education: the conversation should follow an opportunity to understand the issues in question.
- Recursiveness: past decisions should be open for ongoing critical reflection and feedback
- Reflexiveness: decisions should be based on reasons, not power, authority, or access to resources